Those who are looking forward to a new MacBook Air that is supposed to have an M2 chip can pre-order it starting Friday. Apple will then start shipping on July 15.
The new MacBook Air M2 has a much better webcam, more speakers and a MagSafe connection for the power cable compared to the M1 model that is still sold. In addition, the display is now 100 nits brighter and manages a maximum of 500. For style, the device is available in four different colors.
Those who are now happy that a MacBook Air gets a chip that can also handle ProRes should first wait for tests. The M2 chip is clearly faster on paper, but the processor gets very hot under load and then throttles – even in the M2 MacBook Pro with active cooling! The M2 MacBook Air should only be able to calculate with maximum performance for a very short time. It remains to be seen how much faster it actually is in reality.
If you can do without a better webcam and only have USB-C chargers anyway, you can still buy an M1 MacBook Air without a guilty conscience and save money – or order a larger SSD.
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance to tackle projects faster than ever
- Up to eight GPU cores with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
- Fanless design for silent operation
- 13.3-inch Retina display with P3 wide color for vibrant images and incredible detail
- FaceTime HD camera with advanced image signal processor for clearer, sharper video calls